Jan 13, 2011

you can try this at home!

Sorry I've been absent lately!  I have my excuses, but to be honest I have not felt inspired to blog.  Please forgive me. :)

That aside, I want to share about a journey I'm making.  I'll call it my journey to natural and simple living.  No, I'm not going to sell all I have and live as a hermit in a cave somewhere.  God has planted in my heart a desire to learn more about the food I eat, learn more about the products I personally use, and learn more about the earth which makes my home.

Like I said, I'm on a journey.  And I'm taking baby steps on this journey.  Hopefully I will post every now and then ways that I am adjusting my every day life!

Now I will share with you something I did this past week.  I made my own homemade all-natural deodorant!  At first you may think that making homemade deodorant is weird.  I did too!  The whole idea had to grow on me. 

Lindsay from Passionate Homemaking shares the following concerning the harm in deodorant:
Did you know that nearly all commercial deodorants contain aluminum salts, usually aluminum chlorohydrate? Manufacturers like aluminum because it effectively suppresses perspiration but the metal has a dark side once it makes its way into our body. Aluminum toxicity It has been linked to cancer, Alzheimer’s Disease, and other health issues. It is especially important for women to take thought to the harmful aluminum materials in deodorant as it has been linked to breast cancer, being that the breast tissue extends up into the armpits.
Most commercial deodorants also contain parabens, which act as preservatives and stabilizers, but which like aluminum can be absorbed into the skin. Parabens mimic estrogen, and though the amounts we absorb on a daily basis might be small, over time, the accumulation can be significant.
Lindsay also has a recipe and video tutorial on making your own deodorant.  Check it out here.  After learning the benefits of this natural deodorant, I think I'm sold! ;)

No comments: